Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bhavani Ashtakam

Swami Vishwananda taught His devotees, during the nine days of Navaratri, September 2009, to chant the following beautiful devotional prayer composed by Adi Shankaracharya (Below in both Sanskrit & English translation & a YouTube Video). Adi Shankaracharya wrote the prayer for upliftment of his devotees while in a high state of devotion and Divine Bliss. Swami Vishwananda told us that when Adi Shankaracharya prayed the prayer to the Divine Mother, tears streamed from her eyes.

Note to the one who posted a comment requesting a prayer to the Second Divine Mother Aspect, Brahmacharini: Each one of the nine Navadurga is known by a particular dhyana-mantra, a mantra for meditation. The dhyana-mantra for Goddess Bramacharini is. "May the supreme Brahmachari Durga (Brahmacharini), who holds rosary and kamandalu in her lotus hands and whose nature is to attain Sachchidanandamaya Brahmaswarupa the Exisence-Knowledge-Bliss absolute, be propitious on me."

Bhavani Ashtakam Video


Bhavani Ashtakam (English Translation)
In this material world, neither father, nor mother, neither relatives nor helpers, neither son nor daughter, neither husband nor wife, neither scriptural wisdom nor professional knowledge are mine.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal Refuge!

Having been fallen into the limitless ocean of birth and death, ever tied myself by greed, pride, delusion and desire, I am very fearful of this sorrowful existence.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal Refuge!

O Mother, I have made no charity; I have done no meditation; I have observed no rituals; nor have I uttered any prayer or holy Name. I have performed no worship; nor have I purified myself through proper invocations.

Therefore, O Thou Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! Thou art my only Refuge!

Thou art my only Shelter. I do not know either the righteous deeds nor Your sacred abode nor how to achieve freedom from material bondage by dissolving my ego. I am unable to achieve Divine Love, not even inclined to follow any spiritual discipline to attain it.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal refuge!

I am continuously engaged in worthless thoughts and improper actions. My dull Intellect has been enslaved by bad habits. I am always unable to conduct myself admirably and my character is utterly shameful to the society along with my critical views and unruly speech.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal refuge!

I do not know Lords Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Indra, Surya and Chandra, or any other Divine personalities. So I have taken my full surrender forever in You.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal Refuge!

O compassionate Mother, kindly protect me wherever I am, from all kinds of injuries either on water or fire, or on mountains or in jungles, or in disputes with enemies, or in distress of abandonment.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal Refuge!

O caring Mother, I am a true orphan on this Earth, without any virtue, rendered powerless, smitten by pains of disease and aging, deluded by ignorance and laziness, fallen and forlorn, continuously entering into calamities.

Therefore, O Mother of the universe! O Divine Consort of Lord Shiva! You alone are my eternal Refuge!

Bhavani Ashtakam in Sanskrit
Na thatho, na matha, na bandur na datha,
Na puthro, na puthri, na bruthyo, na bartha,
Na jayaa na Vidhya, na Vruthir mamaiva,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam Thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Bhavabdhava pare,
Maha dhukha Bheeru,
Papaatha prakami, pralobhi pramatha,
Kam samsara pasa prabadha sadaham,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Na Janaami Dhanam,
Na cha dhyana yogam,
Na janami thathram, na cha sthothra manthram,
Na janami poojam, na cha nyasa yogam,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Na janami Punyam, Na janami theertham,
Na janami mukthim, layam vaa kadachit,
Na janami bhakthim, vrutham vaapi maatha,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam, thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Kukarmi, kusangi, kubudhi, kudhasa,
Kulachara heena, kadhachara leena,
Kudrushti, kuvakya prabandha, sadaham,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam, thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Prajesam, Ramesam, Mahesam, Suresam,
Dhinesam, Nisidheswaram vaa kadachit,
Na janami chanyath sadaham saranye,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Vivadhe, Vishadhe, pramadhe, pravase,
Jale cha anale parvathe shatru madhye,
Aranye, saranye sada maam prapahi,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam, thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Anadho, dharidro, jara roga yuktho,
Maha Ksheena dheena, sada jaadya vakthra,
Vipathou pravishta, pranshata sadhaham,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam, thwam ekaa Bhavani.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay Gurudev!
The prayer is so beautiful and touching, and Adi Sankaracharya shows unbeliavable humilty. It is such an inspiration for all of us. I gueas this is how we all should be, and then, as Swami Vishwananda teaches, the Divine Mother will cry and run toward us.
May the Divine Mother help us to remember this prayer and live according to it always.
Dear Babaji, dear Swamiji, thank You for Your teachings and Love You spread on us. Dear Uptalavati, thank you for your beautiful blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Dito! the first comment already says it perfectly. I knew Adi Shankara as a composer of Nirwana Shatka and a Great Jnani only. But obviously He was also at least as great a Bhakta! Jai Gurudev.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Durga Brahmacharini dhyana mantra. JGD