Friday, April 8, 2011

Swami Vishwananda Devotee Reflections From Icon Given by the Guru


Story of a Devotee of Swami Vishwananda and reflections of an Icon of Christ and his 12 disciples given to him by his Guru:

A little while ago I pictured, in my minds-eye, my own life as a Christmas-Tree. I did not fully understand the symbolism of it at the time, but as the days have since unfolded, so I have obtained some clarity on the gift that was then presented to me.

Recently, I was given an icon of Jesus and His 12 Disciples by my beloved Guru, Sri Swami Vishwananda. Christ is at the centre of the icon and all the Disciples are linked to him by a Tree: The Tree of Life.

By further reflection I have considered the possibility that a Christmas Tree, which we routinely place in our homes at the time of the Lord's birth, could very well represent The Tree of Life- through- Christ: A Christmas Tree. Ultimately this could denote our Spiritual Life- through- Christ.

All the different aspects of my life such as my home, my relationship, my friends and family, my work, and my studies could then be represented by the majestic little Christmas decorations placed over the tree.

When we put the Christmas Tree up, we work hard to ensure that decorations are carefully placed so that the tree will look neat and tidy and remain well balanced. There should never be too many decorations as a crowded tree would lose its effect. And so it is the same with the different aspects of our daily lives: our lives should be well balanced and not over-crowded with clutter; otherwise it would lose its effect.

Just as the branches of the Christmas Tree support the decorations, so too should our spirituality support all different aspects of our daily lives. By allowing our spirituality to be the Tree on which we hang all aspects of our lives, all these aspects would ultimately benefit.

Jesus said “But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness. And all these things shall be added unto you” - Matthew 6:33 -Sagar, South Africa

1 comment:

Ryan | Sagar said...

In keeping with this symbolism, we put the tree up first before the decorations. Thus, if our spirituality were to represented by a tree, it should come first. And then thereafter "shall all these things be added unto thee"